Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Old Churches in Saigon

Ever since being here I have made it a point to see various religious buildings in Vietnam as they are often beautiful and elaborate, however I have just now decided that it might be a good idea to record some of these experiences with pictures.  I decided to start my photo collection with an old church near to my home. A Vietnamese friend of mine told me that there are over 5 famous churches in Saigon which are rather old.  This is one of them and is located on the outskirts of HCM city in the Thu Duc district.  I is over 100 years old and was built by the French.  Heaven knows why they painted it pink...

Over 130 year year old church in Thu Duc, Vietnam

I didn't get a chance to go inside of the church (try the Saigon Notre Dame Basilica if you want to see the interior of an old church here) although I did take a tour of the grounds.  The church land is spacious and they have several other small buildings including a school for children which was also supposed to be over 100 years old.  They even have some kind of religious themed rock outside.  It's fenced off so I guess it must be special.

Bizarre prayer rock at Thu Duc church

I am told that the services here can be very popular- I hope to attend one to see for myself!

1 comment:

Shopping list here